2 red beets
5 ml (1 teaspoon) table salt
80 g (1/3 cup) sugar
100 ml (2/5 cup, or 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) red wine vinegar
70 g (4 ½ tablespoons) crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur)
160 ml (2/3 cup) lukewarm water
- Peel the beets and slice them very thinly using a mandoline.
- Place the slices in a mixing bowl; add the table salt, mix and leave to drain for a few minutes.
- Place the beets in a sieve for a few minutes to remove excess water.
- Place the beets in a Mason jar and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sugar to the lukewarm water and mix until the sugar has dissolved. Add the crème de cassis. Let it cool for a little while and add the red wine vinegar.
- Pour the marinade over the beets and marinate in the fridge at least overnight before enjoying.
Red, red wine! Especially syrah-based ones, as an ingredient in our Vietnamese Banh-mi pork sandwich (see recipe here).
This raw beets marinade will work wonders in grilled beef- or pork-based sandwiches, such as our Vietnamese Banh-mi pork sandwich.